Crypto Market Unhinged by Tether Lawsuit
By Luke Flowers – Crypto Specialist
Once more, the crypto market pays no heat about the negative publicity surrounding Tether (USDT), which is the most popular stablecoin and is still worth one US dollar. Even though the recent lawsuit is expected on the two companies Tether and Bitfinex, the trading volumes of the coin suggest many are still buying crypto on this chain to trade Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, as reported by Bloomberg.
As reported on October 6, a major class-action lawsuit has been filed against crypto exchange Bitfinex and its sister company Tether, claiming that both used USDT to manipulate the crypto markets during the 2017-2018 bull market involving schemes of fraud, pump-and-dumps along with money laundering-related ploys.
Tether has always been issued in conjunction with demand. If a user wished to buy crypto on the chain, that value would be transferred and fully backed in the reserve. This means the number of coins in issuance is the value held in reserve which many have questioned in the past. An increase in the issuance of Tether when users are buying crypto at a lesser rate could result in inflated market prices.
Ever since this news broke, the most popular stablecoin in the world and fifth coin by total market capitalisation has been trading above 1 USD. The markets notice or care little about the news, but several have delivered comments regarding the lawsuit in which they showcase differences of opinions and divisiveness.
Emin Gün Sirer, CEO of Ava Labs, was one of the people to notice this. He states that “Cryptotwitter is fiercely divided on Tether,” with some believing that USDT is “the key ingredient of repeated pump-and-dumps,” while others think its “an accurate and semi-transparent reflection of natural market forces.”
He also said in the same thread that this is “a monumental lawsuit against Tether-based manipulation of cryptocurrency prices,” led by an “absolutely top-notch” law firm.
A lawsuit like this can have a profound effect on the price of an asset as many may be encouraged to buy cryptocurrency on another chain to trade.
Don’t forget you can head over to our platform to buy Crypto UK for your trading.
Dear valued BC Bitcoin UK Clients,
I hope this email finds you well. We are reaching out to inform you of some significant changes to our services that directly impact our operations within the United Kingdom. Regrettably, due to the recent regulatory developments introduced by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the implementation of the new Financial Promotions Regime, BC Bitcoin is no longer able to offer our services to clients based in the UK. This very difficult decision is in compliance with the regulatory framework and ensures that we uphold the highest standards of transparency and legality. You can view the FCA publication here: https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/finalised-guidance/fg23-3.pdf As a result, we would like to inform you of the following changes and provide guidance on how to manage your assets with BC Bitcoin:
1. **Service Termination for UK Clients:**BC Bitcoin will no longer be able to accept new purchase orders from clients residing in the United Kingdom.
2. **Continued Operation Outside the UK:**Despite the changes within the UK, BC Bitcoin will continue to operate outside of the UK as normal. Our services will remain unaffected for clients in other regions.
3. **Withdrawal of Assets:**For our UK clients holding assets with BC Bitcoin, we want to assure you that your assets are secure. You have the option to safely withdraw your assets or exchange them to GBP or EUR and subsequently withdraw. We have streamlined the withdrawal process to ensure convenience for our clients.
4. **Conversion of Assets:**To convert your Holdings to fiat please log in to your BC Bitcoin account and submit a sell order for the amount of coin you hold with us. During the process you will shown how much you will receive and asked the bank details you wish to receive payment to. In addition, you can request the conversion by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org from your registered email address. If you encounter any issues or require assistance, our customer support team is ready to help you throughout the process.
5. **Withdrawal Procedure:**To initiate a withdrawal, please email your request to email@example.com from your registered email address. You may be asked some security questions to verify your identity. If you encounter any issues or require assistance, our customer support team is ready to help you throughout the process. These changes are effective immediately, and we appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transitional period. We understand that this may be an inconvenience for our UK clients, and we sincerely apologise for any disruption this may cause. Thank you for being a valued part of the BC Bitcoin community. We are committed to providing you with a seamless experience as we navigate through these regulatory changes. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to our customer support team at firstname.lastname@example.org Kind Regards