Dogecoin Outlook and GameStop Event
By Ollie H. - Crypto Consultant - 28-02-2021
The first meme-coin was launched in 2013. Dogecoin (DOGE) is a tribute to the well-known meme Doge, whose roots date back to 2005. The project started off as a cryptocurrency with more than $7b in market capitalization. More recently, its price has lifted to current all-time-highs last February.
A sub-group on Reddit called "WallStreetBets" (WSB) is the online forum for people all over the world, who have come together and shared their stock market experiences. GameStop (GME) is an American company that offers physical computer games and similar items. With the advent of online gaming sites and the COVID-19 pandemic, they have struggled as of late. The company has suffered financial setbacks and has sold thousands of their stores all over the world.
Large investors in the stock markets have been betting on their loss and making money. They borrowed (and then sold) GME stocks at the start of January and expected them to fall, so they could buy them back at a cheaper price and make money on them. These companies were surprised when stocks did not collapse but unexpectedly rose.
From $17.25, these stocks rose to $325+ per unit. This meant a +1,784% rise and a millionaire loss for short-selling buyers, all thanks to a handful of WSB Redditors. The motive for this was, rather than finding gains, pure retribution. Bigger hedge funds are widely criticized for the financial crash of 2008 because they triggered a damaging housing bubble that left millions of people homeless.
Many people who buy altcoins followed the Gamestop madness because it was just the beginning. At some point, someone called "WSBChairman" on Twitter wondered if Dogecoin had ever hit the dollar. And it was a welcome lift to the price of this crypto. Soon, Elon Musk joined the group with more tweets and a purchase for his son.
The Dogecoin purchasing fever at the end of January and early February resulted in a new price high of more than $0.084 per coin. In addition, the #DogeArmy was still on Twitter, determined to raise this token to a dollar. With Tesla also buying Bitcoin (BTC), it seems that Elon Musk has not entirely lost his fondness for this currency.
The influence of culture can be overwhelming and Dogecoin is a part of it. For now, we can just wait and see from rank 14 in market capitalization and a price of over $0,0056 per coin. Who knows if we will make a profit or risk it all tomorrow? But as Billy Markus admitted, "Dogecoin and the Dogecoin community can be a force for good."
Dear valued BC Bitcoin UK Clients,
I hope this email finds you well. We are reaching out to inform you of some significant changes to our services that directly impact our operations within the United Kingdom. Regrettably, due to the recent regulatory developments introduced by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the implementation of the new Financial Promotions Regime, BC Bitcoin is no longer able to offer our services to clients based in the UK. This very difficult decision is in compliance with the regulatory framework and ensures that we uphold the highest standards of transparency and legality. You can view the FCA publication here: https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/finalised-guidance/fg23-3.pdf As a result, we would like to inform you of the following changes and provide guidance on how to manage your assets with BC Bitcoin:
1. **Service Termination for UK Clients:**BC Bitcoin will no longer be able to accept new purchase orders from clients residing in the United Kingdom.
2. **Continued Operation Outside the UK:**Despite the changes within the UK, BC Bitcoin will continue to operate outside of the UK as normal. Our services will remain unaffected for clients in other regions.
3. **Withdrawal of Assets:**For our UK clients holding assets with BC Bitcoin, we want to assure you that your assets are secure. You have the option to safely withdraw your assets or exchange them to GBP or EUR and subsequently withdraw. We have streamlined the withdrawal process to ensure convenience for our clients.
4. **Conversion of Assets:**To convert your Holdings to fiat please log in to your BC Bitcoin account and submit a sell order for the amount of coin you hold with us. During the process you will shown how much you will receive and asked the bank details you wish to receive payment to. In addition, you can request the conversion by emailing email@example.com from your registered email address. If you encounter any issues or require assistance, our customer support team is ready to help you throughout the process.
5. **Withdrawal Procedure:**To initiate a withdrawal, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org from your registered email address. You may be asked some security questions to verify your identity. If you encounter any issues or require assistance, our customer support team is ready to help you throughout the process. These changes are effective immediately, and we appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transitional period. We understand that this may be an inconvenience for our UK clients, and we sincerely apologise for any disruption this may cause. Thank you for being a valued part of the BC Bitcoin community. We are committed to providing you with a seamless experience as we navigate through these regulatory changes. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to our customer support team at email@example.com Kind Regards